ABOUT DERMAL FILLERS
Dermal Fillers offer an instant solution to lines, wrinkles, folds, scars, pockmarks and reshaping the face
- The majority of brands are made from hyaluronic acid.
- Immediate results.
- Minimal downtime.
- Lasts 6-18 months depending on the product, treatment site, lifestyle factors and the individual.
Hyaluronic acid is a naturally occurring sugar chain molecule found in all skin and soft tissues throughout the body, identical across species. It attracts and binds water in the skin, providing volume and hydration, but also ‘cushioning’ and supporting collagen and elastin fibres and providing a medium, or carrier, for chemical messages between the cells. Dermal fillers are manufactured, usually through fermentation and cross linking with proteins to produce a clear, sterile gel for injection into the skin. In the UK, there are over 160 brands on the market due in some part to weak regulation. Not all hyaluronic acids are the same, each brand has a range of ‘tissue tailored’ products designed for specific results. One size does not fit all. At this clinic we use only tried and tested brands. If you have a particular brand you prefer, please discuss with us. Leading and well established brands include Juvederm & Jeunesse.
HyaluronicAcid dermal fillers are a clear sterile gel in a syringe for injection into the skin providing instant correction.
- To correct or enhance facial contours; cheeks, temples, jawline, nose, chin.
- To define, correct or enhance lips.
- To soften and correct facial wrinkles or folds.
- To restore lost volume in hands to reduce the appearance of veins and tendons.
- To improve the tone, texture and hydration of the skin.
- Most people are able to continue with normal activities with immediate improvement in their appearance. Some will have some redness, pin prick marks, possibly swelling- particularly in the lips. Possibly bruising. Any swelling and bruising may be more apparent the next day.
- Make-up should not be worn for 12 hours.
- You are advised to avoid alcohol, vigorous exercise, sun bathing, and extremes of heat or cold for 14 days post treatment. These activities have been found to increase and prolong swelling.
- Swelling may worsen in the first 24 hours, and then shouldsettlewithinthefirstfewdays.Coldpacks can be helpful in reducing swelling. As a consequence of swelling, the product may feel harder or lumpy and you may notice some asymmetry. The final result may be judged at 2 weeks.
- Athletes should be aware some ingredients in the product may show a positive in ‘anti-dope tests’
- Bruising may take a few days to appear, arnica can be helpful in clearing bruising. It is advisable to avoid aspirin and alcohol for 12-48 hours after treatment. Tenderness should settle as swelling goes down.
- Please contact your practitioner if redness, tenderness, itching or swelling worsens after 3 days, rather than settling.
- Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any concerns.