ABOUT LIPS AUGMENTATION
Lip augmentation is a cosmetic procedure that can give you fuller, plumper lips.
These days, an injectable dermal filler is the most commonly used method of lip augmentation.
There are many types of dermal fillers that can be injected in your lips and around your mouth. But the most common fillers today are products that contain substances similar to hyaluronic acid. Hyaluronic acid is a natural substance found in the body. It helps increase volume in your lips.
These types of dermal fillers are sometimes called “hyaluronic acid fillers.”
Fat injections and implants are other methods to plump lips. But they aren’t used as much today because the results vary and there is a greater risk of side effects.
Once injected, the gel in the filler supports and shapes the tissues of the lips.
The benefits of using hyaluronic acid fillers include:
- Control over lip volume. The amount of substance injected can be controlled, so the doctor has better control over how much lip volume is created.
- Gradual pace of treatment. The injections can be given gradually during different appointments until the desired results are achieved.
- Bumps dissolve easily. Any lumps and bumps created by movement of the lips can be dissolved easily.
- Less bruising. There may be less bruising and swelling compared to other dermal fillers.
- Reasonably lasting results. The results are reasonably long-lasting, but not permanent.
- Allergic reaction unlikely. Because hyaluronic acid fillers are made from substances similar to those found in the body, they are unlikely to cause an allergic reaction. But if you are allergic to lidocaine, tell your doctor before being treated.
- Injectable lip augmentation techniques can be performed quickly in our doctor’s office with little to no downtime.
- Before the injections, a topical numbing agent may be applied to ease discomfort.
- After carefully marking the areas to be injected, very fine needles are used to inject the substance into your lips.
- Following injection, ice may be given to ease discomfort and control swelling. But no firm pressure should be put on the treatment area.
- Lipstick or other lip products are best avoided immediately after the procedure.
- You should be able to notice a difference immediately. After you have healed, your lips should feel natural.
Most leading brands also contain a local anaesthetic and we will apply topical anaesthetic cream, or ice, prior to treatment to numb the skin. Treatment need not be painful.
We always make it clear during consultation that patients should expect a certain level of swelling and bruising, though this is usually minor and does depend on the patient’s propensity to bruise.